Marriage Licenses

Filing Requirements in Newton County, Missouri

The 1st Party & 2nd Party must:

  • Visit our office, TOGETHER, to apply for a marriage license. (1)
  • Be 18 years of age or over, if the 1st Party and/or 2nd Party are under 18 and the other party is under 21, their custodial parent must come with them to give consent to the application. (2)
  • Present a valid government issued ID and provide Social Security number.
  • Pay $60.00 at the time of application which includes certified copy (Sorry, no checks).
  • Provide name and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.
  • Pick up and give the license to the person performing the ceremony before the wedding.
  • Have a ceremony performed within 30 days from the date of issuance in the State of Missouri. If the wedding date is more than 30 days from the date of application, they must wait to pick up the license.
  • NOT be related to each other through and including first cousins.
  • The marriage license must be returned, DO NOT DESTROY, to the Recorder's office from which it was issued within 15 days after the marriage. Failure to make such return is a misdemeanor.

(1) If Either Party is unable to appear in the Recorder’s Office to apply, due to Military Service, ADA Qualifying Disability or Incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Applicant may be provided.

(2) Senate Bill 655, which was passed by the Missouri Legislature and signed into law, prohibits marriage licenses from being issued if either party is under 16 years of age. Additionally, the legislation bars the marriage of individuals 21 or older to anyone under age 18. Parental consent will still be required for minors to marry someone under age 21.

* * * ABSENT Applicant Marriage License Applications * * *

(to be used ONLY when one party is not able to apply in person due to incarceration, active military duty, or has a diagnosed significant disability)

Affidavit of Absent Applicant Incarceration – Attach photo ID

Affidavit of Absent Applicant
Active Military – Attach photo ID

Affidavit of Absent Applicant
ADA – Attach photo ID

Who can legally perform a marriage in the State of Missouri?

RSMO Chapter 451.100

Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state. Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.

Any additional questions regarding who can legally perform a marriage should be directed to an attorney.